- professional activities
- community involvement
- speaking engagements
Recognized as one of the leading oil and gas attorneys in the nation by Chambers USA and other rating agencies, Joe has over thirty years of experience representing energy clients before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), other federal and state agencies, and the courts.
With a practice focused on regulation of the natural gas and oil pipeline industries, Joe represents clients in a wide variety of matters including rates, certificates, abandonments, tariff filings, contract negotiations, import/export authorizations, compliance counseling, jurisdictional determinations, enforcement proceedings, rulemakings, and other regulatory matters. He also has extensive experience and training in settlement and alternative dispute resolution.
Before joining the firm in 1988, Joe held various positions in FERC’s Office of General Counsel, serving as trial attorney in the natural gas and electric divisions, and as advisor to FERC on legal and policy issues. Joe brings unique insight to his client’s energy matters through his industry/government FERC perspective, often making the difference in a successful outcome.
- Representing clients in major pipeline rate litigation before administrative law judge, FERC, and court, prevailing on all major cost of service and rate issues.
- Representing clients in successfully settling major pipeline rate case involving all cost of service issues.
- Obtaining FERC certificates and rates/tariff approval for a new interstate gas pipeline developer.
- Obtaining a FERC certificate for a pipeline expansion project and successfully defending orders in court.
- Obtaining FERC certificates for new market-based storage project.
- Counseling clients regarding open seasons, precedent agreements, and administrative process for new gas pipeline projects.
- Counseling a project developer regarding import/export authorizations for liquefied natural gas before FERC and the Department of Energy.
- Assisting a pipeline with safety and compliance issues before the Department of Transportation and Pipeline Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.
- Counseling midstream companies regarding Natural Gas Act jurisdictional issues for new facilities and successfully petitioning FERC for declaratory order.
- Counseling oil industry client regarding jurisdictional issues for new products pipeline facilities under Interstate Commerce Act.
- Representing an energy company in alternative dispute resolution proceedings successfully resolving contract dispute.
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
George Washington University, L.L.M., highest honors (1985)
Albany Law School of Union University, J.D. (1980) (Law Review Editor)
University of Albany, B.A. (1975) (Phi Beta Kappa)
Energy Bar Association
Alternative Dispute Resolution Professionals
Chambers USA, Energy: Oil & Gas (2006-2022)
Chambers Global, Energy: Oil & Gas (2012-2023)
Lawdragon, 500 Leading U.S. Energy Lawyers: Oil & Gas Regulation (2023)
Foster/adoptive resource parent
- Striking the Right Balance – Review of Natural Gas Infrastructure Projects, Energy Bar Association Panel November 2014 (speaker/moderator)
- Chapter 145: Settlements, Energy Law and Transactions, Matthew Bender, 2018
- Chapter 50: Natural Gas, Energy Law and Transactions, Matthew Bender, 2016