- professional activities
Liz focuses her practice on electricity regulation and has more than a decade of experience representing clients before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and federal courts. Recognized by Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for her work in energy law, she provides guidance to clients on matters concerning the Federal Power Act and related federal and state statutes.
Drawing on her experience as in-house counsel at a regional transmission organization (RTO), Liz represents RTOs and investor-owned utilities on a wide array of planning, markets and operating issues. Her work includes advising clients as they problem-solve to comply with FERC regulations, maximize investments in transmission projects, and adapt to changes in the generation resource mix. She assists clients with drafting tariff revisions to address issues arising in RTO-operated energy, capacity, and ancillary services markets. She also advises clients on regional planning issues, including interconnection service and the drafting of related service agreements.
- Representing transmission owners in obtaining incentive rate treatment for investment in two significant regional transmission projects.
- Representing an RTO in successfully defending against challenge to application of transmission asset placement process and associated cost allocation.
- Representing transmission owners at FERC and on appeal regarding FERC’s approval of energy storage as a transmission-only asset in the transmission planning process.
- Representing and advising an RTO in the filing of tariff revisions constituting a comprehensive reform of its interconnection process by transitioning to a “first-ready, first-served” cycle approach.
- Representing an RTO to successfully obtain a declaratory order from FERC asserting primary jurisdiction over sales of power during a winter weather event.
- Drafting a proposal for compliance with FERC Order No. 841 to facilitate market participation by energy storage resources.
- Drafting pleadings and compliance filings associated with revisions to RTOs governing documents.
- Drafting and negotiating agreements providing for transmission interconnection and wholesale market participation.
District of Columbia
Villanova University School of Law, J.D. (2012)
George Washington University, B.A. in Political Communication, magna cum laude (2007)
Energy Bar Association
Women's Energy Network