- professional activities
- community involvement
For over twenty-three years, Carrie Bumgarner has focused her practice on electric utility regulation, representing clients in matters before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), state regulatory agencies and federal courts.
With extensive experience in advising clients on issues related to generation interconnections, merchant transmission, transmission service, planning and operation (including Order No. 1000, cost allocation, seams issues, interconnection agreements), eTariff, market mitigation, demand response, confidentiality issues and agreements, PURPA and other open access transmission tariff and contract issues, Carrie also has experience counseling clients on mergers and electric rate matters.Her clients include two major Regional Transmission Organizations (RTOs), transmission owners and generators.
While Carrie represents clients in many areas of energy law, a focus of her practice has been in transmission planning and interconnections. She enjoys working with engineers to help them understand the legal nuances of FERC regulations and to achieve their objectives while still being compliant. In addition to her regulatory practice, Carrie has experience in unfair competition, antitrust, commercial litigation,corporate formation and trademark law.
Prior to joining Wright & Talisman, Carrie was an associate at a boutique law firm in the District of Columbia, worked at the General Services Administration and served as a law clerk for the Missouri Court of Appeals.
- Representing Southwest Power Pool, Inc. (SPP) before FERC in a proceeding to revise SPP’s generation interconnection procedures.
- Representing PJM Interconnection, L.L.C. (PJM) in developing generation and merchant transmission interconnection procedures, including in Order No. 2003 and Order No. 2006 proceedings.
- Representing and advising PJM in establishing generation retirement and deactivation procedures.
- Representing and advising PJM in negotiating, preparing, and filing of hundreds of generation interconnection, merchant transmission interconnection and wholesale market participant agreements.
- Representing PJM in proceedings to establish cost allocation procedures for upgrades included in PJM’s Regional Transmission Expansion Plan.
- Representing and advising PJM and SPP on Order No. 1000 compliance and implementation issues.
- Representing PJM in a complaint proceeding before FERC relating to PJM’s implementation of its Regional Transmission Expansion Plan process.
- Representing PJM in a complaint proceeding regarding the assignment of costs for transmission projects approved through the PJM’s Regional Transmission Expansion Plan process.
- Advising clients and drafting agreements to establish consolidated Balancing Authority and to delineate NERC responsibilities within an RTO.
- Representing SPP in hearings and settlement conferences at FERC regarding the incorporation of transmission owner annual revenue requirements into the SPP Open Access Transmission Tariff.
- Representing and advising SPP regarding compliance with Order No. 745.
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
St. Louis University, J.D. (1984)
Washington University, A.B. (1981) (Women’s Junior Honorary Society)
Energy Bar Association, Secretary (2017-present), Assistant Secretary (2015-2017), Board Member, (2012-2015)
Women’s Council on Energy and the Environment, Development and Fundraising Section Chair and Board Member (2013-present)
Charitable Foundation of the Energy Bar Association