- professional activities
- community involvement
With over twenty years of experience, Andy has made a successful practice out of representing a diverse range of energy companies at all stages of administrative proceedings before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), various state regulatory agencies, and federal and state courts. Exceptionally thorough and detail-oriented, Andy enjoys learning about and understanding complex problems so he can develop strategies and find solutions that achieve results and win cases.
Andy represents clients in gas pipeline certificate proceedings and related appeals, as well as electric utilities and regional transmission organizations (RTOs) concerning tariff and rate issues. He also has significant experience representing clients in oil pipeline proceedings under the Interstate Commerce Act. Andy was part of the team that litigated the Trans Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS) rate cases for Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (Anadarko) and Tesoro Alaska Company (Tesoro). The complex, multi-year TAPS proceedings confronted a wide variety of cost-of-service and prudence issues arising from TAPS rates before both FERC and the Regulatory Commission of Alaska, as well as related appeals. These cases resulted in FERC Opinion No. 502 and Opinion No. 544.
Prior to joining Wright & Talisman, Andy was an associate at a large, international law firm where he worked on land use, environmental, and energy (electric and gas) issues. When he’s not practicing law, you can find Andy spending time with his wife and two children, volunteering with the school music program, playing guitar, or reading about history and politics.
- Representing Transcontinental Gas Pipe Line Company, LLC in pipeline certificate, rate, and tariff proceedings before FERC and related appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (D.C. Circuit).
- Representing a client in a FERC enforcement investigation under the Federal Power Act.
- Representing Anadarko and Tesoro in the TAPS Quality Bank proceeding before FERC and the D.C. Circuit. Anadarko and Tesoro, as well as other oil producers in Alaska, are defending the existing Quality Bank methodology from challenges raised by a refiner.
- Representing Anadarko and Tesoro in TAPS rate cases, resulting in two landmark orders, Opinion No. 502 and Opinion No. 544, which ruled in favor of Anadarko and Tesoro on virtually all issues. Opinion No. 502 concerned the appropriate methodology to calculate TAPS interstate rates. Opinion No. 544 involved concurrent state/federal review of prudence, life-of-line, and cost-of-service rate issues. Also participated in all phases of litigation concerning FERC’s authority to order cost pooling on TAPS, which culminated with D.C. Circuit review.
- Representing Southwest Power Pool, Inc. in a proceeding before the D.C. Circuit concerning issues arising from non-jurisdictional revenue requirements.
- Representation of the MISO Transmission Owners in a variety of tariff and rate matters before FERC.
- Representation of Alpha Natural Resources, Inc. in pipeline certificate proceedings before FERC.
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
Columbia University School of Law, J.D. (1996) (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, Accelerated Interdisciplinary Legal Education Program)
The Johns Hopkins University, B.A. (1995) (Phi Beta Kappa, Golden Key National Honor Society)
Energy Bar Association, Oil & Liquids Committee
Board of Directors, Stockwell Manor Homeowners Association
- Chapter 145: Settlements, Energy Law and Transactions, Matthew Bender, 2018 (co-author)
- Chapter 46: Judicial Review, Regulation of the Gas Industry, Matthew Bender, 2018 (co-author)
- Chapter 11: Pipeline Service Obligations and Chapter 46: Judicial Review, Regulation of the Gas Industry, Matthew Bender, 2010 (co-author)
- Report of the Oil & Liquids Committee, 39:2 Energy L.J. 1 (2018) (co-author)
- Report of the Oil & Liquids Committee, 38:2 Energy L.J. 1 (2017) (co-author)
- Report of the Oil & Liquids Committee, 37:2 Energy L.J. 1 (2016) (co-author)
- Report of the Oil & Liquids Committee, 36 Energy L.J. (2015) (co-author)
- Report of the Oil & Liquids Pipeline Regulation Committee, 34:1 Energy L.J. (2013) (co-author)
- Report of the Oil & Liquids Pipeline Regulation Committee, 33:677 Energy L.J. (2012) (co-author)
- Report of the Oil & Liquids Pipeline Regulation Committee, 32:727 Energy L.J. (2011) (co-author)