- professional activities
- community involvement
- speaking engagements
Tory represents investor-owned utilities, independent transmission companies, independent power projects, energy investors, and natural gas pipeline shippers and companies in a variety of regulatory, litigation, and transactional matters.
Tory advises her clients regarding the Federal Power Act (FPA), the Natural Gas Act (NGA), the Interstate Commerce Act (ICA) and related federal and state statutes. She regularly represents clients before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and also has represented clients before the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and state public utility commissions. More specifically, her areas of knowledge and expertise include:
- federal energy regulatory matters, including ratemaking, market-based rate and rulemaking proceedings, and the development of tariff rules for regional markets for electric energy, capacity, and ancillary services
- administrative litigation before FERC, including conducting evidentiary hearings, negotiating client positions in settlement proceedings, and facilitating participation in technical conferences
- Department of Energy import-export authorization and compliance
- energy company mergers and acquisitions
- project finance for traditional, alternative, and renewable energy projects
- developing and presenting energy regulatory compliance training and programs
- FERC and CFTC enforcement defense
- energy-related contract drafting
Prior to joining Wright & Talisman, Tory was an associate at an international law firm in its energy and commodities advisory practice group, with a focus on energy regulatory, transactional and enforcement matters.
- Representing transmission owner clients in defense of their transmission rates in a complaint proceeding under section 206 of the FPA.
- Representing transmission owner clients in securing incentive return on equity adder for regional transmission organization (RTO) participation.
- Representing Ameren Corporation and its affiliates before FERC in rate proceedings (including formula rate proceedings), regarding wholesale market issues, and in connection with service agreements, interconnection agreements, and compliance matters.
- Representing Trans Bay Cable LLC in a transmission rate proceeding at FERC.
- Representing New Mexico Gas Company in the litigation of a major, multi-party gas pipeline rate case, as well as advising on compliance and commercial and regulatory issues.
- Representing natural gas pipeline companies in NGA section 4 and 5 ratemaking proceedings, and in matters of compliance and standards of conduct.
- Representing an RTO in proceedings to establish a day-ahead market.
- Representing an investor-owned utility in dispute with an RTO regarding tariff rates and the integration of a new investor-owned utility into the RTO.
- Advising a new oil and gas venture of a large commercial firm regarding the integration of newly acquired oil and gas assets into larger corporate structure.
- Conducting and managing due diligence review and analysis related to the financing and sale of a public utility.
- Advising a client regarding Department of Energy regulations for the export and import of energy products.
- Advising a client regarding the financing and licensing of solar and wind power generation.
- Advising a start-up retail energy marketer on transactional and regulatory matters related to establishing nationwide retail energy marketing business.
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
University of Texas, J.D., with honors (2009) (Texas Law Review, Associate Editor)
Cornell University, B.A. in Government, Philosophy and History, magna cum laude (2006)
Energy Bar Association
Women’s Council on Energy and the Environment
Volunteer, Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless
- Second Annual Women in the Law Conference,Duke University School of Law, 2012.