- speaking engagements
An authority in the energy regulatory arena and in industry-shaping matters, Al has more than thirty years experience representing investor-owned utilities, independent transmission companies, and independent power projects before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), state public utility commissions and federal courts.
Al focuses on rate regulation, administrative litigation, energy project transactions, and utility law, including the design and implementation of compliance programs. He is particularly active in the restructuring of utility assets, mergers and acquisitions, and transmission project development. Clients describe Al as a “heavy hitter who adds weight to pleadings” and an “experienced litigator with great instincts.” He has unparalleled experience in litigating rate proceedings at FERC from the perspectives of both the utility and the customer.
More than just a counselor to the industry, Al has been a part of the industry. As a founder of Trans-Elect, Inc., North America’s first independent transmission company (ITC), he held various positions with the company including Executive Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary, from Trans-Elect’s inception in 1999 until 2005. He was senior advisor to the Chairman of the Board of Continental Energy Systems LLC, the former owner of Cap Rock Energy Corporation, New Mexico Gas Company, Inc., and SEMCO Energy from 2008 through 2014. He also was a Managing Shareholder of Wright & Talisman from 1993-2016, and prior to joining the firm, he was an associate at a major international law firm and clerked for federal judges on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Chambers USA has described Al as “creative” and having “business acumen,” while noting that he maintains “terrific relationships within the FERC regulatory arena.” A fixture in the energy industry, Al also has been touted through Chambers USA as a “very thoughtful, strategic thinker” who “has lots of experience to bring to the table.”
- Representing Ameren Corporation and its affiliates in proceedings before FERC, including compliance, complaints, market-based rates, standards of conduct, power-related agreements and wholesale market matters.
- Representing Trans Bay Cable in its 2013 transmission rate case.
- Successfully filed a petition on transmission infrastructure investment incentives for Ameren Transmission Company for two major transmission projects in Illinois with an asset value of $1 billion. The incentives FERC granted include recovery of construction work in progress (CWIP) before the lines are in service and recovery of prudently incurred costs if the projects are abandoned for reasons beyond Ameren’s control.
- Developed the innovative rate structure and was instrumental in the creation and development of both Michigan Electric Transmission Company (METC), the first ITC in North America, and Path 15 project, the first greenfield ITC in North America.
- Successfully obtained the first-ever rates granted to an ITC under FERC’s new authority under the Energy Policy Act of 2005 for StarTrans IO, a subsidiary of Starwood Energy Group Global.
- Obtained groundbreaking approvals from FERC for the transfer of electric generation facilities from a regulated utility to an unregulated affiliate for Ameren Corporation and its affiliates.
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States
Syracuse University College of Law, J.D. (1978)
Oregon State University, B.S., high honors (1975)
Chambers USA Energy: Electricity (2010-2015)
- Routinely speaks at conferences and seminars addressing restructuring of utility assets, with a focus on investment in transmission projects and the development of favorable rate structures.
- Transmission and the FERC, Wells Fargo Securities Energy Symposium, 2015
- Transmission and the FERC, Wells Fargo Securities Energy Symposium, 2014
- Transmission and the FERC, Wells Fargo Securities Energy Symposium, 2013
- Wright & Talisman co-sponsored Energy Investment Conference bringing together FERC Commissioners, utilities, private equity, and other investors to discuss electric industry investment, panelist, 2005-2015