- professional activities
For over thirty years, Jeff has represented clients across all regulated energy sectors. He has counseled natural gas pipelines before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and federal courts in matters involving rates, tariffs, construction certificates, and rulemakings. Jeff’s background also includes handling of import/export authorizations before the Department of Energy and the representation of oil pipeline and shipper clients subject to regulation under the Interstate Commerce Act (ICA). On matters arising under the Federal Power Act, Jeff had a leading roll in the successful formation of a major Regional Transmission Organization (RTO), the subsequent launch of the RTO’s Day 2 energy market, and the prosecution of numerous system and market-related Tariff revisions. He has litigated major rate cases for both natural gas pipelines and electric utilities.
No novice to the energy industry, Jeff is often seen guiding his clients through the complexities of the federal energy landscape. His more recent engagements include the negotiated settlements of two major rate proceedings on behalf of an interstate natural gas pipeline company. He also has served as lead counsel in pipeline construction projects adding over $2 billion of new infrastructure and has led due diligence efforts involving the pursuit of liquefied natural gas (LNG) projects, the potential acquisition of terminalling and pipeline assets, and the planned development of natural gas storage projects.
Jeff has a long history of involvement in administrative and judicial proceedings examining the rates and terms of service on the Trans Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS), and has assisted clients on a broad range of jurisdictional issues arising under the Natural Gas Act, the Natural Gas Policy Act (including examination of section 311 rate and construction issues) and the ICA. He has successfully prosecuted numerous filings at FERC proposing new tariff services and innovative rate treatments for natural gas pipelines and electric utilities.
- Representing two independent shippers on TAPS in defense of current Quality Bank tariff methodology, by which shippers are compensated or penalized for variations in the grade of crude oil tendered for shipment.
- Representing transmission-owning members of an RTO in defense of a complaint challenging lawfulness of companies’ allowed return on equity.
- Representing an RTO in the successful negotiation and settlement of contract dispute following remand from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
- Participating in multiple due diligence efforts on behalf of companies considering sale and/or purchase of federally-regulated assets.
- Representing a gas pipeline in connection with general section 4 rate filing, including negotiation of a settlement resolving all contested issues.
- Defending a gas pipeline in response to a section 5 rate investigation, resulting in a comprehensive settlement resolving all contested issues.
- Assisting an RTO in the development of tariff provisions and market protocols necessary for the implementation of Day 2 integrated market.
- Assisting newly created LLC in the development of natural gas export project, including the preparation of application for authorizing the construction of new border crossing pipeline facilities to export natural gas to Mexico.
- Representing a group of small-volume shippers in successful challenge to proposed common carrier tariff revisions governing access and capacity allocation.
- Defending before FERC, on behalf of an intrastate pipeline, challenged operating conditions filed pursuant to NGPA section 311.
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
The Catholic University of America, J.D. (1984) (Recipient of American Jurisprudence Awards in Contracts I, Contracts II and Creditors Rights)
University of Florida, B.A. (1976)
Energy Bar Association, Vice Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee (2014)
Top Rated Lawyers, Washington, D.C., Energy and Natural Resources, ALM Legal Leaders (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017)